Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://hdl.handle.net/10419/26940
Authors: 
Burhop, Carsten
Year of Publication: 
2008
Series/Report no.: 
Preprints of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2008,3
Abstract: 
In this paper, we describe the emergence and evolution of pharmaceutical research at the German company E. Merck during the late 19th and early 20th century. Revolutionary changes in the scientific knowledge base, especially the rise of bacteriological research, and the market entry of dyestuff producers into pharmaceuticals made the re-organisation of pharmaceutical research during the 1890s a necessary corporate strategy. Consequently, Merck restructured its in-house research between 1895 and 1898. Moreover, the firm deepened its co-operation with universities and other outside inventors. Jointly and severally, the firm depended on outside inventors for the generation of new products, whereas in-house scientists improved the productive efficiency. Moreover, we show that a significant number of new products were launched between the late 1890s and 1905. During the following years, however, resource constraints restricted Merck's innovative capacity.
Subjects: 
Business history
pharmaceutical research
case study
JEL: 
N83
O32
Document Type: 
Working Paper

Files in This Item:
File
Size
302.47 kB





Items in EconStor are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.